After researching several blogs on how to make these money-savers, I decided on the paper towel ones. Apparently I should have found the blog with pictures before attempting this. I followed the directions, so I thought.
Here's what went wrong and where I went wrong:
- Cut the paper towel roll the short way; not the long way. AKA cut the fat way, not the skinny way.
- Do not take the cardboard piece out until after the paper towels have soaked.
When I was ready to use a wipe, I opened the reused diaper wipes container to find a big pile of mush. Basically I wasted an entire roll of paper towels. Awesome.com
So I went back to the drawing board… or the other blogs, and found another recipe. This time I decided not to waste any more Bounty since the idea is to SAVE money and not waste it. I had my husband clean out his white tees and give me some old ones. I cut those tees up into rectangles and folded them once.
Here's how to make the wipes the best way (obviously my opinion):
- Put cut cloth into a container. Diaper wipes container works best.
- Boil 2 cups of water.
- Add in 2 TBS of multipurpose cleaner (like Pine Sol).
- Pour over the cloths and let sit.
- Once cooled, close top of container and store away.
- When you are ready to use, just grab out a wipe, use it, and put in the laundry. (I wash my wipes with whites because those will be bleached.)